Brentwood is a small city located in the state of California. The city is characterized by hot climate. The best thing that you will want to do in such weather condition is to go to the swimming pool.
You should therefore be very careful especially when you have kids or in company of your pets. Drowning is the #1 cause of death under the age of 5. Pets like dogs can also drown. The good thing is that the problem can be avoided by building safe pool fencing.
Evey person that owns a swimming pool should make efforts to fence it. This is not just for the safety of your children but also that of your neighbor’s kids who might be attracted by your backyard pool.
There is no federal law regarding pool fencing, however, many local municipalities implemented such laws. Before installing your pool fence, you should know the requirements in your city. This will help to ensure that you carry out the exercise according to the requirements of the law.
Pool Fencing Requirements:
- The top of every barrier should measure more than 60’’ above the grade size on the exterior part of the barrier. There should also be vertical clearance which should measure approximately 2’’ starting from the grade to the bottom of the barrier.
- In the event that the barrier is composed of vertical and horizontal members, and the distance between the top of horizontal members exceeds 45’’, spacing between vertical members should not be more than 4’’.
- On the other hand, if the barrier involves horizontal and vertical members, and the distance between the top of horizontal members is less than 45’’, horizontal members should be placed at the side of the swimming pool fence.
- If the barrier consists of diagonal members, the resultant opening should not exceed 1 ¾ ‘’.
- The mesh size should measure 2 ¼ ‘’ square. But if the fence has flats fastened at the top, the reduced size of the opening should not exceed 1 ¼’’.
- Access gates should comply with the same regulations provided for barriers.I n addition, they should be equipped with a locking device.
- Gate for pedestrians should be designed in a way that it can swing outside the pool. It should close by itself. On top of that, it should include a self-latching device. All this is aimed at enhancing safety.
- The pool should feature a release mechanism which should be located at a distance of at least 5’’ below the top of the swimming pool gate. This may however, vary depending on the position of the latching device.
- Apart from using pool fencing as a method of enhancing safety, you can also use pool covers as an alternative.The size of the cover you need will depend on the size of your swimming pool. You are advised to choose covers made from high-quality materials. Such covers are usually durable.
Up to this juncture, you are now conversant with pool fencing requirements in Brentwood CA. Make sure that you adhere to them as you install your pool fence. This will enhance safety of your kids and pets.